Thursday, November 22, 2007

Week Before Last

Author's Note: This would have been up much earlier had our internet not been down for several days. I apologize! More to come!!

I have gotten a bit behind in my updates so I have to quickly tell how the week before last ended! At the end of last week, one of the teachers asked if I could do an art activity as she saw the flowers that I had done previously. I had no idea what to do but I went online and did a little research and reading. I decided to introduce the idea of pointillism. I have a book that I brought with me called "The Dot" and I knew that the students would like me to read to them. It is about a girl who thinks she cannot draw or do anything artistic until her teacher encourages her and she ends up making tons of pictures with only dots and they are wonderful. As pointillism is an art of dots (using a lot of dots to create a solid picture), I thought that it tied in nicely.

The students did not initially believe me that people colour in entire pictures with dots. I showed them famous paintings and drawings that were created only using tiny dots of colours. They were amazed. The teacher said she would like them to create pictures of faces (which is a very hard thing to draw while only using dots!) so that is what we set out to do. I brought in my large and extensive collection of markers and the students set to it. They spent two days (one hour each day) working on these pictures and I think they started to really understand the concept. They aren't perfect, but I think that they are wonderful and all very individual. Here are some pictures of the students at work!









No comments: