Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My Tuesday

This morning, I found out that the Maths teacher that I teach with was home sick. Tuesday is Irish dancing day, so our maths class is shorter than normal but I was able to teach all on my own. I think that it went very well. The students are moving along quite nicely although when we revisit fractions, I know we will be stalled again. Fractions are just such a difficult concept for kids. I remember quite clearly my own confusion.

Later on, I taught about snow to both of the Junior Infants classes. They are so eager to hear about snow as they really don't have any experience with it. I have two books about snow with me so I read one. They were very excited as it was a Charlie and Lola book ("Snow is My Favourite and My Best") and the kids here love Charlie and Lola almost as much as I do. We also made snow flakes to hang up. Next we are going to read Ezra Jack Keat's "Snowy Day" and make a snowman (out of paper, of course... unless there is a freak change in the weather in Western Ireland).

In my last class, we continued writing the story we started yesterday. I have been working on Cinderella stories with 3rd class. We have read all kinds of versions, including ones of different nationalities. We haven't found an Irish Cinderella yet (although I am sure there is one out there somewhere). We started with a story idea web yesterday and today we began to fill in a 4-square graphic organizer. They do not write many creative stories so it is kind of like starting at the beginning with basic story elements (beginning, middle, end, how to write dialogue, paragraphs etc). I think the story is going to be really great, but it will be a miracle if we can finish it on time.

Well, I would write more but I have been asked to make some drawings and things for a few teachers so I must get it done!
Slan!

No comments: